My attention span can be questionable- sometimes, so much so it’s almost surprising how I’ve become a bit too obsessed with the recent release of Pokémon Go in the UK (and just about available from the App Store and Android worldwide now!) and most truly, I know I’m not the only one.
I’ve never been a game fanatic since the light of Gameboys & the early DS and it’s not a usual thing for me to talk about on here but hey, the world is our oyster. By now I’m almost too sure that you will have known what Pokémon Go is but what was it like before we all started saying “Ooh it’s there” and “Gotcha!“? Okay, so maybe the game hasn’t been all life changing but stay with me on this!
1. Staying on one app was never easy– not when you have cat posts on Facebook every 10 minutes, or Jack from accounts calling you for dates, or them jaw dropping photos on Insta, or them beautiful things sitting in the basket on your favourite shopping site. Yea about that, anyone can solidly be on Pokémon Go for minutes to hours no end to hatch them 5km eggs or hopping around for them rares, catches and gym battles!
2. Netflix and chill. Hmm, Pretty Little Liars, OITNB, The Vampire Diaries, Jane the Virgin or how about a really cute film and popcorn for a night-in for one? I don’t know about you but it almost feels like every hour has a specific moment not to be missed in case we miss our chances of finding any particular of Pokémon.
3. Sorry I have other plans– I don’t have other plans so let’s go find some Pokémon together! In the last few days, living in the town centre I’ve not seen so many people hobbling to the same spots so systematically regardless, and that’s for the goodies from virtual Pokéstops.
4. How about some exercise? With Pokémon Go, you are always on the go (but it doesn’t mean the gym can wait later btw!). Maybe like me, you’ve discovered that when you sit in the same spot for a little while, the game sort of glitches so you’re moving but not moving and sometimes still finding Pokémon. When you move outside it just motivates you to see what’s out there because the Pokémon are just about anywhere!
5. I’m tryiiing to make new friends. As much as anyone can have a few good friends or the best bunch of friends, Pokémon Go has you going out to all sorts of places and making conversations with new people, it is that easy.
6. Don’t know much about Pokémon. I’ll admit that I never had much attention span for the earlier Pokémon games and so I don’t know all the names to the Pokémon or I can be so unfamiliar with how some of the game works but with Pokémon Go it has a unique and fun kind of way of gaming that is so understandable and so easy to follow.
7. Uzz. Oh it’s just an alert for when that deadline comes, oh again and that’s when I have to go to the dentist…something from Facebook- not that important…and Gotcha! This game does drain the battery life out of your phone so quickly too.
8. Capturing that moment on camera. I’ve seen so many people screen grabbing their most recent catches from the app and to say it’s not a competition can be short of a statement. From all the everyday places to the all-ever unusual. I’m waking up in the morning to find Rattatas on my bedroom floor, Goldeen on the carpet and Eevees chilling in clothing rails, the Pokémon and their places go on.
9. No ones looking, just take a selfie. Selfie days on snapchat are still on the brink of fun but whilst it’s still popular Pokémon Go is here, you could pull up a friend to help you get that photo next to your top catches (I don’t really plan on doing so!) but otherwise by all means this has been done. I’m finding it so awkward when I’m stopped outside a shop or where it may be busy with people or traffic when a Pokémon coincidently appears, and yeea don’t mind me I’m just making a catch..
10. Have fun and stay safe! Likewise, it’s just a game but there are some things about playing the game safely that has been a cause for concern- so whether it be catching a cool Pokémon, hanging out with friends or playing battles at the gym, just be aware of where you are and who you are with and an emergency power source just in case.
I think the “best favourite” Pokémon I have so far is Eevee, so adorable! I’ve been playing almost non-stop for 2 days and I’m on level 8, how about your favourites/level?
In a while x